In the past year, as I have literally woken up, my personal mission has been to be more positive and attract more positivity into my life. That has morphed into a deep desire to help others do the same.
An important first step on that journey for me was to adjust the information I took in. FaceBook looks at what you interact with most and gives you more of it, can you guess where this is going? If you share and interact with negative posts and entities, this is what you will receive more of. Here are five tips that I used to change that:
- Cull your groups. Go into your groups and decide if they’re really what represents what you want to see and be involved with in your life. Leave all that don’t bring you inspiration and joy. Do not stay in any space, physical or virtual, out of a feeling of nothing more than obligation.
- Cull the pages you follow using the same rules. Does it bring you joy or inspire you? If not, “unfollow!”
- This one may be harder to swallow, but also scour your friend’s list. It is unnecessary to be loud, or announce anything. If there are people on your friends list that you question why you are friends with at all, simply and quietly unfriend them. If there are friends you love but the things they post are inherently negative, you can unfollow them without unfriending them, and continue to check in on them and support them while protecting your own mental health.
- Now that you’ve subtracted negative things, add in positive. React, comment on and share the posts that inspire you, educate you and bring you joy. You can still read the articles of sad and negative things if they come up and you want to know, but don’t interact with them in any other way.
- Follow the happy places, the pages and groups and friends that are uplifting. You will be amazed at how quickly your feed changes into a place you want to be!